Utica Cutlery Company
1910-2007 (From Catalog)
The Utica Cutlery Company
was founded in 1910 by a group of prominent Utica businessmen. It was felt that
a metal working
industry would create employment and bring economic balance to the area. The
primary industry in Utica at that
time was textile manufacturing.
The original location for the company was 820 Noyes Street.
Through the years, several major additions were made to the building, but the
address remains the same. The current size of the factory and office is
approximately 100,000 square feet. The company has continuously manufactured
pocket knives since 1910. In 1918, fixed blade kitchen cutlery was added. During
World War II, the company manufactured bayonets and carbine parts and
the coveted Army-Navy E., as well as a number
of other awards. Stainless flatware was added to the line in 1952 and has
been continuously manufactured and marketed
by the company since that time. The flatware
program was substantially enhanced during the
with the addition of imported flatware. This broadened the line by adding
a number of new qualities and price points.
In 1970, the company acquired the Walco Stainless Division of
Voos Industries. WALCO
is a major player in the hotel/restaurant industry and provides an entire
array to the institutional market. WALCO is an independent division of the Utica
Cutlery Company serving
the institutional market.
Today, Utica’s KUTMASTER division manufactures and imports a
wide range of pocket, lockback, fixed blade, and liner lock knives. KUTMASTER
holds patents on several Multi purpose tools which are manufactured in Utica,
In addition to folding
knives a wide array of cutlery and picnic sets are offered in both
set and kit configurations. The KUTMASTER division
services the Sporting Goods marketplace, as well as Hardware, and Advertising
Specialty industry. A number of products are manufactured
in Upstate N.Y. under private
label arrangements for a wide range of customers.
Utica was founded by former Camillus employees as well as the
investors mentioned above
KUTMASTER was added as a
brandname in 1937.
Kutmaster_2006 part 2